LL Cool J, Snoop, Nas, Jay - Z (who has been 40 at least twice) and a few others whose names evade me at the moment are still rhyming, rapping, releasing albums etc and it makes me wonder why the hell haven't these old birds retired from the game yet. Is it greed? inability to give up youth/the golden years? a bout with insecurity in which the battle lies soley in seeking validity, you know the 'I still got it' in today's industry criteria? or is it that the money isn't as great as it has often been alluded to be?

Something in the milk just doesn't come across as clean because when a man, of a certain age, resort to doing the same things that he did in his youth, which comes across as incredibly childish to a point, one would have to wonder what the fuck is really going on. So I pose the question, should rappers be subjected to an age restriction? If so, what should it be? and how would it affect those who may be 'late in the game'?

5 comments:

ticktock said...

I just don't understand why they just don't produce music for developing artists and build their own labels rather than still trying to rap. It is just about as sad as seeing Charlie Wilson wearing du-rags and hip hop clothes to blend in with rappers like that old head Snoop in the song they did together. Just sad.

In Them Genes said...

Rap music should have an age restriction. I am tired of these old men running around with their pants hanging off their tails doing the same thing they did when they were 20. I feel that all rappers should be subjected to facing a time line in their rap careers and it should be 30. I find it stupid to still be doing this after 30 and to be honest, I feel that my suggestion on age is being too kind.

Anonymous said...

I think that they should hang up the mic when they feel like it. If they are old and geriatric then so be it. If they can remember lyrics up in old age so be it. They are doing what they love and have loved for a long time. Who is anyone to judge.

Just Des said...

I have a 35 year old relative who is trying to launch is rap career with a friend of his who is 36. The family supports them but we feel that they should leave well enough alone but who are we to crush the dream.

IM A BEAST WITH IT said...

HEY ANONYMOUS! YOU SOUND IGNORANT AS HELL. THERE

COMES A TIME WHEN PEOPLE SHOULD GROW UP, EVOLVE

THAN RISK BEING PIGEON HOLED. RAPPERS ARE NOT

DIFFERENT. THE WAY I FEEL ABOUT IT IS THAT IF AN

ASPIRING RAPPER HAVEN'T GOTTEN A DEAL BEFORE 25

THEN FORGET ABOUT IT BECAUSE THE BEST YEARS ARE

UP TIL THAT AGE.